Sunday, August 23, 2009

Burger King on the Moon, soon?

In 1964, Pete Seeger wrote and sang "what did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?"

Most of my generation grew up with a different version by Danish singer-comedian, Eddie Skoller, poking fun of every nationality and accent, including Denmark and the US:

"I learned that Denmark is a little land, and in Denmark they do not understand, what the outside world is for, and then we didn't learn no more"..... US: "I learned that we were the first to put a man on the moon and I'm sure there will be a hamburger stand there soon; the next thing will be a military base but only to protect the human race....that's what I learned in school today, that's what I learned in school."


When I began my worldly travel 15 years ago, I could always count on being able to find a piece of that local culture...something unique from the country I visited. Sushi chopsticks from Tokyo; special coffee from the Blue Mountains in Jamaica; wooly sweaters from Ireland and flamingo music and cheap shoes from Spain. The only constant was McDonalds or Burger King. Today every city offers the same stores and the same merchandise....Mulberry, The Gap, Gucci, Starbucks. It has become so boring and unadventurous to travel in major cities that have the same flagstores everywhere.


TV is no different. Having been tied to the couch & 3 Danish TV stations, the past 11 days following my hysterectomy (I wasn't going to mentioned it but here we are) - I've noticed it doesn't matter where in the world you choose to lounge. " Who Wants to Be a Danish Millionaire in Britain's Got Talent So You Think You Can Dance in Holland with your Swedish Big Brother while you try to become America's Next Top Model, overcome your German Fear Factor and battle it out in Australia's Outback Survivor though you really are The Weakest Link and not the X-Factor you thought you were!!"
It's a global economy and global entertainment industry - whatever works in one language obviously works in another!


I'm glad that morphine too, works no matter what country you are in. Pain knows no boundaries and I for one feel I have crossed all borders of agony, so will swallow any little jagged pill to get pain free. Ah yes, modern medicine! Between that and Space exploration I'm sure we will have Starbuck and Burger King on the moon, soon.

No comments: