Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Meet Asma and Fatma

Asma sleeps until noon every day and is a housewife. Fatma is up early and works 8-5 at a local women's college. Asma has the driver and nanny take her son to daycare. Fatma drops her kids off herself. Asma has tea with girlfriends every night and stays up until 1 or 2am in the morning. Fatma does homework with her children every evening, while her husband cares for his sick father, who lives with them. She complains that she has no time to herself!

Asma's husband works for the Government and his hours are 9-2. After work he spends the afternoon with Asma. Fatma has to go and visit her father (who is a widower) at least once a day and so does every sibling...she has 9 brothers and sisters.

Asma is Pakistani / US and married to an Emirati - she wears regular clothes. Fatma is local Emirati and wears the Abaya.

Both are wonderful women but so different. I met Asma at the American Women's Association general meeting and Fatma at the Coaching Course, I just attended this past weekend. Getting the insight into the lives of local women is rare and wonderful. I'm so curious for knowledge and cultural info and now that I have more time on my hands, I'm taking every opportunity to get to know my surroundings.

Since my last blog, I have taken ownership of Lola, so I ride much more. Such a treat! Look for more updates soon -- I'm off to the US this evening to see Aidan in Arizona and friends in Chicago. I got a 10-year entry visa, so I'm hoping my detainment in immigration will be avoided!

Ciao dear readers...


No comments: