






The "winter" season in Dubai always brings a myriad of events to the region: Film Festivals, Concert Series, Horse Racing, Golf and Rugby events and competitions like Marathons and open water swimming. The F1 grandprix was no exception. We scored free tickets from our friend Al who works as a security consultant for the Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi. Not only did we have front row seats at a perfect section of the track, resulting in deafness and neck sprain from the roar and spped of the go-fast cars whizzing by, but the tickets also included entry to the concert that night. Linkin Park gave a fantastic performance for 2 hours and we rocked like a pair of teenagers in college, with our fists in the air...this dormant behavior surfaces at the most remarkable times :)
In between the qualifying race and the concert, we were invited on to the Crown Prince's Dhow (no he didn't show up - I suspect he was at his 'VIP' yacht moared further down in the marina) where we were served a full spread of Arabian Mezze and drinks (none for me - I'm in AA until my wine intolerance lets up ;-) . There was a steady stream of very tall and beautiful Russian girls headed to many of the big yachts - I wonder how the owners of the yachts have so many female friends from Russia...quite curious? Their fashion sense was immaculate albeit skimpy!
Lorraine and Peter, our friends for 3 years now since we met at the kids school admissions testing, joined us for most of the day - Lorraine and I tried to win a Porsche, but I haven't received a call yet from the promoters! Must ask Lorraine if she was the lucky one. The cars were fast and furious and I can see why men lust after these strong and loud machines...personally I'm more of a one horse powered breed myself.
As Lorraine's sister works for FIFA Abu Dhabi, which just merged with Flash, the live event organizer, we are fortunate to get tickets for some of the fantastic concerts scheduled for the season. Nov 26 has us attending Nelly Furtado live - Hunter wanted to go but we have to drive him to Abu Dhabi, so we figured we may as well do dinner with Lorraine and Peter who have to drive their girls, and then see some of the concert. Time to yell and put my hands in the air again! Sigh ;-)
No comments:
Post a Comment