
As my father-in-law put it: "So Aidan is gone, get over it!!" Yes, time to focus on other things indeed. Boy it has been a hectic last few weeks. Sending Aidan off, after exams, prom, then wrapping up Hunter's exams and graduation from MYP (Middle Year Program - a prep for IB diploma 2-year program) and then packing for our move to Denmark, where Hunter and I will be for the next month. Time flies and it seems the summer is going full speed while we are out of the sandbox!
Now that Aidan has left his bedroom behind, it is my plan to move in there and set up my office. As a mother would do, I started fiddling, cleaning and sorting through his clothes and things before I left for Denmark. To my shock - near heart attack I should say - I found a [used] pregnancy "Clear Blue" test stick on his shelf. Either my son is confused about whom can get pregnant, men or women, or he and Courtney were trying to play a mean prank on me. Or were they honestly perhaps a bit nervous about something? Who's to know?
It's been a few years since I used one of those tools, so trying to decipher the result, it took me a few minutes to analyse that it in fact was negative. Phew! Next step was to diplomatically ask Aidan about this - always a sensitive subject of how far a mom can go to probe and pry...
So I sent a mail to him and asked straight up if he was joking or wanted to tell me something. Now we know he and Courtney have been doing more than kissing - they are both of legal age, so we are sort of OK about this (Aric's Grandma Hill would turn in her grave if she read this! I expect a lightning rod in my back any moment now) - and knowing Courtney and her parents well, there is full transparency in this relationship. As her parents also agree though, we aren't ready to be in-laws or grandparents anytime soon!
Aidan's response is classic: "Was it used?" - "It was just a precaution as I was trying to tie up lose ends" - DOAH! Yeah I'd say this is a lose end....sitting in Thailand sipping a beer and getting a mail that you're gonna be a daddy, is not quite the start on life I'd prefer! His next sentence killed me..."So negative is good? That means Courtney is not prego?" And I thought we had done the birds and bees story so well ;-) My job as a mom is finished here; I believe I can safely turn my focus on the little one, who is wasting no time trying to fill hi brother's shoes.
My sandbox garden is in hiatus. It's resting until I return and the cooler weather starts in November. We were eating green fried tomatoes right of the stalk as temps sored to 45c / 105F degrees prior to leaving. Slim and Aric are bachelors until July 24, when I meet Aric in Miami and we're off to Mexico for a little R&R. We are even fortunate enough to swing by Sanibel for 5 days to check on things and Mark and Amy will join us for some splashing in the pool.
Hunter will be enjoying summer camp in England in the meantime. He got to get one last time in on the board before we left the sauna!
No comments:
Post a Comment