Monday, December 21, 2009

Just missing the National Anthem










Finally! After 11 months of training and building myself up to the challenge (only interrupted by a hysterectomy) I nailed a half marathon! Well, there was that 'small insignificant' half marathon in Durban, South Africa, in October - but mentally that really doesn't count as I only did half of a half! It's all my mate Steve's fault. He said to do the run with he and his friends and he also said that there would be a few hills. A few hills!!! Starting the first 2 km like I was climbing Mount Everest is not really "a few hills"!! The jelly beans I brough in my back pocket for self reward and motivation every 5km, had melted into a goopy mass and from there it went downhill -- literally...the downhills killed me (or my knee) so I finally gave up at the 11 km mark.

Fortunately Dubai is flat as a pancake (aside from the world's tallest building) so I figured I could handle that run to the end. Running for Aric's heart kept me going - along with The Black Eyed Peas and their Boom Boom Pow songs. I finished the run in 2 hrs 27 min, according to the clock (2.29 according to the mat computer) - so I made my goal which was under 2 and 1/2 hours! A well deserved breakfast afterwards with real pork bacon made the day for me. Bexta finished in 2.03 but she is fitter than me (not that we were competing ;-)

Got the medal and wondering if I should run the full marathon in Copenhagen in May. I can evaluate that after the Christmas dinner and a few glasses of champagne!

We are all so ready, gifts have been wrapped and hidden until we get the tree up. We weren't going to have a tree, but the kids changed their minds as they got more and more in the spirit, so now we are going to see if we can source a real pine tree in time. Aidan and Mutti have spent all morning rolling marzipan and dipping the goodies in chocolate. Aidan is certainly giving Godiva a run for the money as master chocolatier! YUM!!

No comments: