Sunday, March 29, 2009

Umm al-QuMEN
































If one could make a Hollywood movie like "Wild Hogs", about a boating weekend rather than a mid-life crisis biker trip, this would be it and it would be called "Wild Mariners". A bunch of dramatic, self-doubting, middle age, adrenaline-craving men, in search of an undefined dream or goal, gathered at the Palm Beach Resort (not to be confused with the actual Palm Beach haven in Florida) for a massive horse powered, Mastercraft sponsored wake boarding extravaganza.

It was supposed to be a family boating and camping weekend but as expected, turned into an engine revving, hull comparing, stunt filled, "whose boat is faster and who can do the most flips" weekend, where I found myself anxiously sneaking Slim around in secret. No pets were allowed and of course we did not see that sign posted until we had driven 2 hours and arrived at the Umm al-Quwain Marina.

Packing him up in a blanket like a well traveled gypsy, he could have passed for a 10 month old baby squirming in my arms while Aric checked us in to a “seen better days” double suite. We decided not to rough it in a tent with a puppy that would no doubt chase bugs and howl all night. Not that I think I’m getting too old for camping, but somehow air-conditioning, shower and a real toilet, sounded better than squatting in the sand while trying to avoid mosquitoes in the hot & humid night. Instead, the boys spent the two nights in our tent right on the beach with camp fire, marshmallows and the lack of an air mattress.

Slim was happy sleeping right in between Aric and I in the hotel bed. During the day we smuggled him through the marina gates and on to our boat and in the evening when we attended the BBQ dinner, he was cool and calm in the A/C with a “do not disturb” sign on the door. The Palm Beach Resort was an interesting place – a mix of families enjoying their weekend off and single Arab men who seemed to get a lot of female visitors from Russia (?!) The little convenience hotel shop had an interesting array of snacks, soft drinks, beach towels, very raunchy lingerie and shelves full of condoms. Somehow I don’t think there were a whole lot of weekend prayers going on in the rooms. Didn’t bother us much; we were there to enjoy the boat, wakeboarding and sun. I just find the whole concept a little hypocritical amongst the strict Muslim code.

Driving around Friday afternoon looking for firewood, I didn’t see a single woman. So, I have re-named the emirate from Umm al-Quwain to Umm al-Qumen. With only about 62,000 inhabitants, it is the least populous emirate in the federation. But you would think there would be more women out and about. I did get chatted up by a father and his two teenage boys, who actually spotted Slim and thought he was “the most beautiful dog they had ever seen”! Now we know that’s not exactly true, so I was rather suspicious. After all I was wearing a short sun dress and with no other women (or dogs) around, both Slim and I stood out like a sore thumb! I asked the guy where his wife was and he told me she was at their home. (Barefoot, pregnant, and cooking in her oppressive burka no doubt!!) Anyway, it ended up being an enlightening conversation where I learned that the two sons were going to Russia for vacation and they did actually pet Slim in the end, though they were frightened by him in the beginning. He has that affect on people in the UAE. Sometimes I feel I am walking Godzilla around on a leash, the Indian workers jump 4 feet back and freeze when we pass them on the street. Like he will attack and eat them?!?!

We got our firewood and while the boys pretended to be on a desert island, isolating themselves with soda, chips and hotdogs, Aric and I had dinner with the rest of the Mastercraft owners, all very nice couples and much like us – working all week and boating on the weekend.

It was a packed weekend with lots of learning new tricks and wake surfing. The area was also very beautiful with lots of mangroves and wildlife in the protected lagoon surrounded by small islands. Early in the morning the Arabian horses from a nearby stable were being exercised in the water and could be seen swimming along the shore with a yard boy. What a sight!

http://www.ummalquwainmarina.ae/en/

No comments: