

They used to call their friends Jack, Lewis, John and TJ...now they call them Miika, Ramin, Vishal and Alana. Just one of the many differences facing Aidan and Hunter in our new country.
We arrived just over a week ago to a hot, crowded and dimly lit airport terminal facing yet another usual electrical outage. Imagine the locals, dressed in traditional Arab garbs, processing hundreds of people, without IT and PC connection. Standing in line - tired, sweaty and impatient - all we could hear was the loud "smack, smack, smack", of their stamps on the passport pages.
Soon on our way to the Harbour Hotel & Residence, our temporary home for the next 30 days. Located right in Dubai Marina, it reminded me of a new, shiny, modern [albeit dusty] Manhattan, and we could see for miles from our 36th floor apartment.
The first week has been challenging, just getting uniforms and supplies for the boys' school. We must have made so many roundtrips to "Green Community" market mall - I don't think I want to set foot in there for the next few months! Everything here is at a different pace and everything here benefits none other than His Highness, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum and the local nationals. Dubai has a benevolent dictatorship and while his Highness' fortune is vast, he turns most of his wealth into generousity and his vision for a better Dubai. The Sheikh and I share a common passion - he may not know it....but I fully intend to wiggle my way in to the Royal Mews some day.
'A love for horses runs in my blood. Don't forget that horses have been bred for centuries by Arabic tribes, they were used for hunting and fighting and they symbolise our history. Horse riding is more than merely sitting on a horse's back. It is nobility and chivalry.' - Sheikh Mohammed.
Ah, but that is a story for another day....back to our family's arrival at this exciting place.
Aidan and Hunter had their first day of school on September 2. The orientation at Dubai International Academy lasted about 35 minutes and then the boys joined their home room teacher and got all their new books. I was dismayed to learn that after many rows with them about tucking their shirts in and emphasizing that "those are strict rules here" - every other boy had his shirt hanging out! So much for credibility.
They are off to an easy start - it being Ramadan the hours are only 8 - 1.30 and while their Muslim mates are fasting (let's face it: starving!) non-observers can eat behind a curtain in the cafeteria. Ramadan is interesting up close. The word itself in Arabic denotes intense heat, scorched ground, and shortness of rations. That sums it up well! It is considered the most venerated and blessed month of the Islamic year. The fast is intended to be an exacting act of deep personal worship in which Muslims seek a raised level of closeness to God Almighty. The act of fasting is said to redirect the heart away from worldly activities, its purpose being to cleanse the inner soul and free it from harm. Properly observing the fast is supposed to induce a comfortable feeling of peace and calm.
Personally - much as I want to be part of the local custom, I'm a complete bitch until I have my morning coffee so giving up that Latte does not leave me feeling peaceful and calm! I do however make sure that I eat and drink in the car while bending down behind the dash so not to tempt my muslim neighbors.
Our residence is not shabby! 3 bedrooms / 5 bath and a fully furnished place with daily maid service. This will not help Hunter become more helpful around the house! With a gym and pool below us and the beach a stone throw away, it offers a bit more than the UK. While the first week has been a strain on my patience, I am learning to bring it down a thousand and just let the process move on in its own pace. Must admit that not being able to drive yet has my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels - but then again, being driven everywhere by Aric "Le Chaffeur Prive" has me feeling like Miss queen bee :)
5 comments:
Keep your feet on the ground and your head on straight or you may actually start to believe you are royalty. Remember your humble beginnings...Kankakee :)
Thank you for enlightening those of us still living in our protective bubble here in Chicagoland. I am very curious about the religious and political viewpoints, especially as we get ready to elect a new president here in the US. Take care!
Ramadan is fascinating, isn't it. We have a friend here in Savannah who is Muslim and I find everything about his religion so interesting.
Glad you are all in one place again and huh, must be rough living it up with 5 bathrooms. That sounds like pure heaven to me. ;)
Can't wait to read all about your adventures.
Love you guys!
UA starts daily non stop service from Dulles to Dubai on Oct 26th. You never know an Austin might show up or you could always try to Non rev if you have time and a need to come stateside. We love hearing about your new adventure. I have a friend of a friend stuck --I mean staying in Dubai. COuld I get him in touch with a friendly expat family in you and Aric ? Cheers -we miss you. the Austins -Ab --- Aric -- you are missing a really good lead up to election ...its gonna be another dumb close one!
Dubai has grown up. It's more than the shining little gem I visited some 17 years ago. Back then Dubai was a welcome respite after boring holes in the sky all night. Low on fuel and high on morale we landed at dawn. Abu Dahbi (our planned terminus) was fogged in.
Hope you guys are enjoying your Arabian Nights adventure and are keeping yourselves out of trouble. Will send you a separate mail on Kellan's end of summer 2008 "Ocean's 13" misadventure.
Much Love,
The Tyree's
Post a Comment